We’ve said it before, but it always bears repeating: There are so many incredible things to do in the White Mountains. This area of New Hampshire is home to popular attractions like the Flume Gorge and Franconia Notch State Park, a vast array of hiking trails, some of the state’s best waterfalls, and plenty of charming small towns to explore. As the weather warms up and dries out this spring, you’ll find that there are plenty of things to do in the White Mountains – including relaxing and spending time with us at Sugar Hill Inn.
Sugar Hill Inn is a top-rated White Mountains Bed and Breakfast. We offer guests a quiet and tranquil destination to enjoy some uninterrupted romantic time together and feature a broad range of inviting guest rooms and cottages, not to mention one of the best restaurants in the area. Located just minutes from Franconia Notch State Park and offering easy access to popular attractions like Mount Washington, there’s no better place to stay while you’re enjoying all of the great things to do in the White Mountains. Book your room with us today!
Top Things to do in the White Mountains
There’s an abundance of things to do in the White Mountains, no matter the season you visit. In the spring, the White Mountains are a wonderful place for a quiet and restful getaway, and by summer the hiking trails and top attractions are open, and wildflowers are in full bloom, offering a diverse range of outdoor adventures. By September, the vibrant hues of fall come into sharp focus, providing breathtaking scenery to enjoy, and shortly after that the snows begin to fall, opening up plenty of opportunity for skiing and other winter sports.
The White Mountains truly are a destination like no other. With so many great things to do in the White Mountains, you’ll never find yourself without options. Add to the experience a stay at our luxurious Bed and Breakfast, and you have the recipe for an unforgettable getaway.
As you start planning your upcoming adventures for summer, fall, and even winter, here are the top things to do in the White Mountains to keep in mind:
- Head to Franconia Notch State Park, where you’ll find some of the best things to do in the White Mountains, including The Flume Gorge. The Flume is a natural gorge with spectacular waterfalls, vistas, and covered bridges. There is also plenty of great hiking and biking trails throughout the park, including the popular Artists Bluff Trail.
- Ride the Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway to the summit and enjoy the breathtaking views from the top. On a clear day, you can see the mountains of four states and Canada!
- Scenic drives are one of the most popular things to do in the White Mountain, especially in fall. There are several to choose from, including The White Mountain Trail, the popular Kancamagus Scenic Byway, and Mount Washington Auto Road.
- The Auto Road isn’t the only way to get to the top of Mount Washington. It’s the highest peak in the northeast and it’s worth getting there. You can of course hike to the top, though it’s difficult, or you can get to the top aboard the Cog Railway.
- With over 100 waterfalls in the White Mountains, one is never far away. Chasing waterfalls is one of the most popular and rewarding things to do in the White Mountains! The Falling Waters Trail, a popular 1.4-mile hike will bring you to Walker Cascade, 20’ Stairs Falls, 60’ Swiftwater Falls, and 80’ Cloudland Falls. Find even more great waterfall suggestions here.
- Late spring and early summer is a great time to see wildflowers, especially the stunning fields of Lupine that bloom at this time of year. Usually, there is a Lupine Festival, but it has been canceled again for 2022. However, you can still do a self-guided tour and enjoy the many colorful fields of Lupine in the area.
- Hiking is one of the most popular things to do in the White Mountains, and there’s no shortage of trails. Here are some of our top recommendations for the best hikes in the White Mountains, though we’d love to offer suggestions and tips during your stay, too.
Best Place to Stay in the White Mountains
With so many amazing things to do in the White Mountains, you’re going to need a place to stay while you enjoy it all. After a fun day adventuring, there’s nothing better than returning to the luxury accommodations at Sugar Hill Inn.
Guests have their choice of 8 guest rooms and 5 vacation cottages. Each accommodation comes with a delicious multi-course breakfast in the morning, as well as small bites in the afternoon. Once you’ve returned back to your room in the afternoon, there’s no need to leave again to find dinner, as one of the best restaurants in the White Mountains is right here on-site.
A stay at the Sugar Hill Inn truly is special. In fact, we’d rate it as the #1 out of all the things to do in the White Mountains. Make your reservation at this incredible place today!